An individual from a overseas u . S . Who needs to enter the USA have to first gain a visa. As a scholar, the j-1 student visa is the only you need to gain.
Either a nonimmigrant visa for transient live or an immigrant visa for everlasting house.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Student Visa are nonimmigrant visas for people authorised to participate in trade vacationer packages in the United States.
It allows them to go into the US for the of entirety of their practical training, which isn’t to be had in their domestic country.
There are several categories under the J-1 scholar visa, and every class has a one-of-a-kind requirement. This approach that you may get a J-1 scholar visa primarily based at the program you are enrolling for, and your sponsor.
In this text, you’ll get to know greater about the J-1 visa, its categories and application technique.
What is a J-1 Student Visa?
A J-1 student visa inside the United States is for individuals who desire to participate in work-and-study-based totally exchange traveller programs in the U.S.
These packages are sponsored by means of an educational or different nonprofit organization, which have to be accredited thru the Exchange Visitor Program special by the U.S. State Department.
J-1 alternate site visitors come to the United States to train, look at, receive education, or demonstrate special competencies.
The J1 visa is meant for students who want practical schooling that isn’t always to be had to them of their domestic usa, and the training have to be without delay associated with their academic application.
Why Should You Get a J-1 Student Visa?
A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued with the aid of the United States to analyze students, professors, and exchange site visitors taking part in programs that sell cultural change, mainly to obtain scientific or commercial enterprise education in the U.S.
So if you have a schooling to undergo in the United States, it’s critical that you get a J-1 pupil visa, as it allows you to enter the U.S.
The change visitor application’s J visa is designed to promote the interchange of persons, understanding, and skills inside the fields of training, arts, and sciences.
Participants consist of students in any respect academic levels; trainees obtaining on-the-job training with companies, establishments, and groups; teachers of number one, secondary, and specialized colleges.
It additionally includes professors coming to teach or do studies at establishments of higher getting to know; studies students; professional trainees in the clinical and allied fields; and worldwide site visitors coming for the reason of tour, remark, consultation, studies, schooling, sharing, or demonstrating specialised information or competencies, or collaborating in organized human beings-to-people programs.
Categories of a J-1 Student Visa
There are distinctive classes below the J-1 pupil visa application. Each application has unique requirements and rules. These applications include;
SEE ALSO: How to Renew Student Visa in America
#1. Au Pair
The Au Pair category of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program lets in childcare vendors between the a long time of 18 and 26 to paintings caring for a own family’s kids in trade for room, board, and a stipend.
The major precedence of the Au Pair is to care for his or her bills, however he or she will additionally have unfastened time to enjoy life inside the U.S.
To be eligible for the Au pair program, the applicant ought to have first obtained a task provide from a own family. Other requirements include;
- 18-26 years of age
- Good fitness
- Previous childcare experience
- Speak and recognize English
- Secondary faculty schooling
- Non-smoker (if required via the circle of relatives)
- Police clearance file
- International driver’s license and at the very least 50 hours’ using experience
- Willing to live 12 months faraway from home
- Cannot have previously lived within the US as an au pair
Additionally, candidates may additionally need to interview of their home country via the sponsoring organization, and they’ll should behavior a number of cellphone interviews with ability host families.
Also, the sponsor ought to additionally offer the participant with at the very least 32 hours of childcare education before placing them with a bunch own family.
#2. Camp Counselor
Through the camp counselor application, overseas publish-secondary college students and children employees are capable of work at American summer time camps.
To be eligible for this software, candidates ought to
- Be as a minimum 18 years vintage
- Be talented in dealing with kids
- Speak and recognize English
- Be a overseas submit-secondary pupil, young people worker, instructor, or person with specialized competencies
As a camp counselor, contributors could be furnished with housing and meals by the camps for which they’re operating, for gratis to themselves.
They will receive pay and blessings proportionate to the ones offered to their American opposite numbers. More so, they will be allowed to paintings for up to 4 months with out a extensions.
#3. College and University Student Program
This program lets in overseas students to observe at American Colleges and Universities. Students who participate in this program need to pursue a complete-time route of look at and must hold suitable academic standing.
They might also take part in a student internship application that fulfills educational goals of their diploma programs of their domestic international locations.
More so, students on this software need to be financed from any source apart from personal or own family, inclusive of directly or indirectly by using america government, their domestic u . S . Authorities, or an worldwide corporation of which america is a member.
READ ALSO: How Long Does a Student Visa Last & How can I Renew?
#4. Secondary School Student Program
In this program, high school college students are able to travel to america and study at a public or private excessive faculty whilst staying with a bunch family or at a boarding faculty.
To be eligible for this application, members should
- Be among the a long time of 15 and 18.5 by means of the first day of faculty.
- Not have finished extra than 11 years of number one and secondary faculty (aside from kindergarten)
- Not have formerly participated in a secondary school change software within the US.
Additionally, college students are allowed to participate in all college activities, though the college district and the state office in price of determining athletic eligibility must approve the pupil’s participation.
They are not allowed to paintings element-time or full-time jobs, although they are able to work occasional jobs along with babysitting or yard paintings.
In preferred, they’re no longer authorised to stay with relatives, and that they ought to no longer stay inside the US longer than one educational faculty year.
#5. Government Visitor Program
In this software, worldwide traffic decided on by way of a US federal, country, or nearby authorities organisation go to the United States to increase and improve professional and personal relationships with their American opposite numbers.
They have interaction in statement excursions, discussions, consultations, professional meetings, conferences, workshops, journey, and education.
#6. International Visitor Program
This J-1 visa program is for human beings-to-humans packages supposed to increase and beef up expert and private relationships among key overseas nationals and Americans and American institutions.
Participants must be a identified or capability leaders in a discipline of specialized information or ability. They are selected through the USA Department of State.
#7. Physician Program
This program lets in foreign physicians to participate in US graduate medical education programs or training at US medical colleges.
To be eligible, contributors must;
- Have ok prior education and schooling for the program wherein they’re enrolling
- Must be competent in speaking and writing English.
- Have passed both Parts I and II of the National Board of Medical Examiners Examination, the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination, Step I and II, or the Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE) prepared by way of the National Board of Medical Examiners.
- Provide a assertion of need from their home government that states that there is a want for persons with the abilities the applicant wishes to gather of their domestic usa.
RELATED ARTICLE: What are the Student Visa Requirements within the U.S?
#8. Professor and Research Scholar Program
In this program, participants have the opportunity to have interaction in research, teaching, and lecturing at American faculties.
Additionally, it encourages the trade of thoughts, mutual enrichment, and linkages among research and academic institutions in the US and overseas countries. The most duration of these packages is 5 years.
To be eligible, participants need to;
- Not be a candidate for a tenure tune function
- Have finished a professor or research student program in the closing 24 months previous the start of the program
- Cannot have participated in a J-visa application for any a part of the 12-month period preceding the professor or research student application.
Exceptions to this software consist of;
- The player is transferring to another group in the US to keep his or her contemporary J-1 application.
- The participant’s earlier stay within the US on a J-1 visa was much less than six months long.
- The prior participation become as a short-time period scholar.
#nine. Short-Term Scholar Program
This program allows professors, studies scholar, or humans with similar education or accomplishments to lecture, take a look at, consult, teach, or demonstrate unique capabilities at studies institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary faculties, or comparable institutions within the US.
The most length of this program is six months, with out a extensions, and no opportunity of converting category.
#10. Specialist Program
In this application, experts in a subject of specialized knowledge or skills travel to the US for the interchanging of understanding and abilties among overseas and American professionals.
The period of this type of application is one year. While inside the US in this type of program, specialists won’t fill a permanent or lengthy-time period function of employment.
#eleven. Summer Work Travel Program
Under this program, post-secondary college students are allowed to travel to america to work and travel over the summer season.
To be eligible, participants must;
- Have sufficient English competencies to engage in an English-speaking surroundings
- Be put up-secondary college students who’re enrolled in a complete-time route of observe at a post-secondary educational organization outside the United States.
- Have completed at the least one semester of submit-secondary look at.
- Have a process provide inside the US, except the player is from a visa waiver country.
#12. Teacher Program
Through this program, overseas teachers can come to the USA to teach in number one and secondary faculties for up to three years.
To be eligible for this program, contributors ought to;
- Meet the qualifications for coaching in primary or secondary schools in his or her home country
- Have at the very least 3 years of teach or related career revel in
- Satisfy the coaching requirements of the US state wherein she or he intends to teach
- Possess the English skills vital to take part in the application
More so, contributors in this application will research US coaching techniques even as bringing global perspectives to US school rooms.
READ ALSO: How To Change Your Student Visa To Green card
#thirteen. Trainee Program
In this program, overseas professionals are allowed to advantage exposure to get hold of training in US business practices of their chosen occupational subject.
To be eligible, participants ought to;
- Be a foreign country wide with either a degree or expert certificate from a overseas post-secondary instructional institution
- Have at least one year’s work experience in his or her occupational area, or five years of labor revel in inside the occupational area in which she or he is in search of education.
- Be as a minimum twenty years vintage.
Participants may locate works in numerous fields like Agriculture, Hospitality and Tourism, Public Administration and Law, and so on.
#14. Intern Program
In this software, foreign professionals are allowed to obtain training of their occupational field inside the US.
To be eligible,
- Interns ought to be overseas nationals who are currently enrolled in a overseas degree or certificate granting put up-secondary group outside the US or who graduated from such an group no extra than 365 days earlier than his/her application’s start date.
- Be as a minimum 18 years antique
- Have their English capabilities evaluated or proven with the aid of a identified English language test
#15. Working Outside the Program
Usually, J-1 visa holders are required to paintings simplest for their application sponsors. However, in some instances J-1 holders may match for non-sponsor employers if they meet positive eligibility requirements.
The requirements vary depending at the program. J-1 students are eligible for. Students ought to have desirable academic status, and may not exceed 20 hours of labor in keeping with week besides at some stage in holidays and holidays.
#sixteen. J-2 Visa
The J-2 visa is for non-immigrant spouses or kids of J-1 trade tourist visa holders who accompany or later join their partner or discern within the United States.
J-2 eligibility depends on the unique program wherein the J-1 exchange visitor is enrolled.
The application manner for J-2 visas is similar to the software method for J-1 visas.
The sponsor of this system need to approve the accompaniment of the partner or child, who may be issued their own Form DS-2019. The J-2 visa holder can accompany their J-1 spouse or figure into the US, or they will pick to enroll in them later.
READ ALSO: How To Get Student Visa For U.S From India
How to Apply For a J-1 Student Visa
There are numerous steps to apply for a visa. The order of those steps and the way you entire them may also vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Before applying for a visa, all exchange tourist candidates are required to be established and authorised with the aid of an authorized software sponsor.
When popular, the applicant will receive from the instructional institution or software sponsors the essential approval documentation to be submitted while making use of for a visa.
Here’s a step-via-step guide on the way to apply for a J1 visa
Step 1. Get a J Sponsor
To apply for a J1 visa, you will want to find a distinct sponsor t be given you into their program.
Keep in thoughts that many of those corporations display screen their contributors and search for those with talented English language skills.
Step 2. Complete the online application shape
When making use of for the J-1 student visa, you have to entire a web visa software form DS-one hundred sixty. Access it on the Travel.State.Gov website.
Step three. Apply for the DS-2019
The DS-2019 form is also referred to as the “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchanger Visitor (J-1) status”
This shape is the official files utilized by the USA Department of State on the way to allow you to get an interview with the U.S. Embassy or consulate. If you may be followed by your spouse or infant(ren), they will additionally receive a separate DS-2019 shape.
The form generally consists of your SEVIS ID range, that’s the quantity inside the higher corner above the bar code, (commonly starts with an N).
SEE ALSO: Scholarships for International Students 2020 – APPLY NOW
Step four. Pay your charges
You may be required to pay a SEVIS I-901 price to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as part of your J-1 visa software – or this rate can also already be a part of your software fees to your sponsoring organization.
It’s critical to check with your sponsor to verify whether or not it will likely be paid with the aid of you, or for you. If the sponsor pays the SEVIS charge in your behalf, make certain to get a receipt confirming charge.
Another fee you will be required to pay is the Nonimmigrant Visa Application Processing Fee, that’s $160 and may be paid by visiting the Department of State’s Fee for Visa Services.
Step 5. Schedule an Interview
As a J-1 visa applicant, you need to schedule an interview with the consular officials. Exceptions to this are seen inside the table below.
|Age Requirement||Interview status|
|thirteen and younger||Generally not required|
|14 – seventy nine||Required (some exceptions for renewals)|
|80 and older||Generally now not required|
You should agenda an appointment in your visa interview on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the us of a where you stay.
You can also schedule your interview at any other U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it is able to be more tough to qualify for a visa outside of the u . S . A . Wherein you stay.
Step 6: Gather Required Documents
When applying for a J1 visa, you may need to submit the subsequent documents to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
- Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport ought to be valid for as a minimum six months beyond your length of stay inside the United States
- DS-2019 Form, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-one hundred sixty affirmation web page.
- DS-7002 Form, A Training/Internship Placement Plan (for trade tourist trainees or intern visa candidates)
- One 2×2 photograph
Additional files that can be required are;
- The reason of your travel;
- Your cause to go away the United States after your travel;
- Your potential to pay all tour expenses.
Step 7: Attend your Visa Interview
Here, a consular officer will interview you to determine whether or not you’re qualified to acquire a pupil visa. You should show which you meet the necessities under U.S. Law to receive a visa.
Additionally, ink-free, digital fingerprint scans are taken as part of the application procedure. They are normally taken for the duration of your interview, but this varies based on region.
After your visa interview, the consular officer can also decide that your utility requires similarly administrative processing. The consular officer will tell you if it’s far required.
Bring the subsequent documents for your interview.
- Documents demonstrating strong economic, social, and own family ties to your property united states of america to be able to compel you to go back to your united states after your program of take a look at inside the U.S. Ends.
- Financial and some other files you consider will help your application and which offer credible proof which you have enough conveniently-to be had funds to fulfill all prices for the primary 12 months of observe and which you have get admission to to finances enough to cowl all expenses even as you remain inside the United States.
- Only unique copies of financial institution statements, scholarship award letters, and so on.Can be everyday.
- If you’re financially subsidized by using another man or woman, bring proof of your relationship to the sponsor (along with your delivery certificate), the sponsor’s most latest unique tax paperwork and the sponsor’s bankbooks and/or constant deposit certificates.
- If you are being subsidized by way of an agency (U.S., Nigerian or other), please provide an authorized letter at the business enterprise’s reputable stationery explaining the amount of the financial help and the terms underneath which it’s far presented.
- Academic documents that show scholastic instruction. Useful documents encompass college transcripts (authentic copies are desired) with grades, public exam certificate (A-stages, and so on.), standardized take a look at scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas.
Step 8: Entering the US
A visa does now not assure access into the United States. A visa simplest permits a foreign citizen to journey to a U.S. Port-of-access (commonly an airport) and request permission to go into america.
After you gift your passport, visa, and DS-2019 on the port-of-access, a CBP authentic will make this selection. Once you are allowed to go into the USA, the CBP professional will provide an admission stamp or paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record.
Getting a J-1 Student Visa FAQs
How lots does it value to apply for J-1 pupil visa?
The price to use for a J-1 student visa is $one hundred sixty inside the U.S Embassy or Consulate. Additionally, you’ll be required to pay the SEVIS rate.
Can a J-1 scholar visa holder work off-campus?
As a J-1 scholar visa holder, you may be legal to work off campus for a complete of 20 hours per week.
Is J1 visa difficult to get?
No its not. As long as you complete your application right and surely, as well as meet your eligibility requirements, there’s a excessive threat you’d be exact to move.
Getting the J-1 pupil visa is a trustworthy and clean one. Do properly to make use of this manual.